Award-winning community housing development in Footscray, Vic
Unison transformed a run down block of 17 small units into 54 brand new self-contained apartments. All units are let as social housing to people who have experienced or are at risk of homelessness, offering safe and modern homes to people who need it most.
In 2021, Unison won the Urban Development Institute of Australia (UDIA) National Award for Excellence for this social housing development in Melbourne's west.
This major project was in part funded by the Victorian State Government’s Victorian Property Fund, which supports registered Housing Agencies to carry out development projects to increase the supply of long-term affordable housing for low income and disadvantaged Victorians.
Designed with a focus on residents’ well-being and quality of life, the development features great natural light and airflow, friendly large communal area and outdoor garden, high-standard energy efficiency, accessible facilities, and enhanced safety measures.
- Rooftop solar to lower utility costs and environmental footprint
- Rainwater harvesting system for toilet flushing and irrigation
- Embedded network
- High-performance glazing and energy efficient building services
- Secured bike storage facility
As part of Unison’s approach to tenancy management, the building is also home to a Place Management Office, which enables our team to provide timely and personalised support to assist people with their tenancies and connect them with their community, local services, and social and economic opportunities.
Outreach is provided onsite by Unison partners McAuley Women’s Community Support Services, for the women McAuley have referred to Napier Street.
More articles about this development:
- Unison wins National Award for Excellence in Affordable Development
- 54 new affordable and contemporary homes in Melbourne West
- In the news: "'Like a five-star hotel': Homeless find stability in a place of their own"
- The return home
- 90+ self-contained homes in development
- New homes in Melbourne west