Resources to support you during COVID-19

COVID-19 has affected our lives in so many ways. It continues to be a difficult and uncertain time for everyone. If you feel you are in need of support and someone to talk to, professional help is available.

Mental health support: Call or connect online

Mental health support with trained counsellors is available over the phone, online or via telephone support services. The Victorian State Government website lists a number of tips and resources on its website:

Here are a few contact numbers and website addresses to help:

  • Beyond Blue: 1300 224 636,
  • Lifeline: 13 11 14,
  • Headspace: 1800 650 893 for 12-25 year olds, family and friends,
  • Kid’s Helpline: 1800 551 800, for children from age 5 up
  • Mensline: 1300 78 99 78,
  • Safe Steps: 1800 015 188 or 1800 RESPECT: 1800 737 732 for support to people impacted by domestic and family violence,


An online support forum, a podcast or webchat may be what suits you best. Here are a few links that may be helpful.

Food relief

Food relief is available during the pandemic for people who are experiencing financial hardship and are voluntarily isolating because of a health condition or age. Find out more on this fact sheet by the Victorian State Government:


Financial support

There are a variety of financial support packages for people and businesses impacted by COVID-19 including financial, job and business support. Find out more:


Ask Izzy

Have you heard of Ask Izzy? Ask Izzy is a website that connects people in need with a meal, money help, family violence support, counselling and much more. It is free and anonymous, with thousands of services listed across Australia.

And if you're on the Telstra or Vodafone mobile networks, you can access Ask Izzy on your phone even if you don't have credit or access to wifi.

A great resource to have handy:


In your neighbourhood

Your local council will have a wide range of professional support services, including those in your neighbourhood. The services may range from food relief and emergency pet food for people isolating, to mental health and family support. Head along to your local government’s website and search for coronavirus support. 



Remember, support is out there in many different ways and through a range of organisations. If you are struggling to find the support you need, please contact your Unison Place Manager. We are here to help.