Social Housing in Victoria

About social housing

Social housing is housing that is provided to eligible households, with rents subsidised to ensure that households pay an affordable rent. 

Unison has a range of rooming house, apartments, units and houses for long-term social housing in the Northern and Western suburbs of Melbourne and also Geelong. These properties offer security of tenure and are available to single people, couples and families who are on low incomes via Centrelink.

We are committed to ensuring that the people we house gain access to the support, resources, and opportunities needed to sustain their housing, build a sense of home and participate in the wider community. We do this through effective partnerships and connections with specialist organisations.



To be eligible for social housing, you should live in Victoria and meet current income and asset limits. 

Visit the Department of Health and Human Services' website to find out more about eligibility guidelines to access social housing:


How to apply

There are two ways to gain access to long-term social housing with Unison:

  • By applying for social housing through the Victorian Housing Register 
  • Nomination Access (where selected support agencies have access to particular Unison housing)



For more information please contact your closest Unison office: Click here for our contact details.