Transitional Housing




Unison is carefully monitoring developments related to the Coronavirus pandemic.
Based on guidance from the Australian and State Governments and health authorities, we may make some changes to the way we work to protect you, our staff and the community.

Please CLICK HERE read our special Coronavirus page for more information.



What is Transitional Housing?

Transitional Housing is a supported short-term housing program. It acts as a stepping stone to more permanent housing in public housing, community housing or private rental. The aim of the program is to provide short-term accommodation with support to assist people to prepare for long-term housing as soon as possible. Transitional Housing is temporary and tenants must actively work with their support worker to secure long term housing.

The housing is provided by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and managed by Unison in partnership with a wide range of support agencies.



What is a Place Manager?

Your Place Manager is your contact person at Unison. Your Place Manager will help you if you have any questions about your tenancy or your property.

Your Place Manager will carry out regular inspections at your home to make sure that the property is well maintained. Please take this opportunity to let your Place Manager know if you are experiencing any difficulties.


What is a Support Worker?

All transitional housing tenants are allocated a support worker. Your support worker will help you apply for long-term housing, assist with budgeting your money, refer you to other services if you need help, let you know about employment and training opportunities, and work with you to get you ready for permanent housing.


What does Unison do?

  • The first thing we do is help you set up your tenancy and your property.
  • We then monitor your tenancy. This includes making sure you know your rights and resposibilities as a tenant, pay the correct rent every fornight.
  • We make sure that maintenance is undertaken to keep your property safe and in good condition. This includes six-monthly property inspections.


What do you, as a tenant, need to do?

  • Take care of your property and keep your place in reasonable condition.
  • Tell us know about any maintenance issues that need fixing at your property.
  • Let us know know before you bring a pet home with you.
  • Catch up with your Support Worker regularly.
  • Meet with your Place Manager and Support Worker every 3 months.
  • Pay your rent every fortnight.



Renter Resources and Policies

Unison complies with all relevant legislative and regulatory requirements. The following section features resources and policies that apply to and impact our tenants. If you are seeking information that is not currently on the website or have any questions about these documents, please don't hesitate to contact your Place Manager.



  • Unison's Staff Code of Conduct: Unison’s Staff Code of Conduct outlines the standards of behaviour expected of all Unison employees. It aims to establish a code of professional ethics in the workplace that are consistent with Unison’s purpose, values and objectives.


Unison Membership

Unison is a not for profit organisation. Our members are important stakeholders with particular rights. Members appoint board directors and are able to vote at company general meetings. Membership is free.  The Unison member factsheet provides more information.  

To apply for membership complete the Unison membership form.  If you would like further information call in to your nearest Unison office or contact Nina on 03 9349 0257.